Objectives of Migration
Many organizations have chosen 3DEXPERIENCE as the enterprise PLM platform, but many of their local sites are still using Autodesk Vault, formerly known as Autodesk Productstream or Compass, to manage CAD data (such as Autodesk Inventor, DWG, and DWF files) and non-CAD data (documents such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel files).
- Having separate PDM and PLM leads to digital discontinuity. Business processes such as Configuration Management, Change Management, Program Management cannot be effectively implemented by the Engineering group.
- Enterprise Templates, design libraries, Product configuration definitions cannot be used effectively.
- Cost of maintaining PDM and PLM systems.
The other category of the organizations is those who chose Vault when their teams were small, but as the organizations grew, the needs of Enterprise PLMs are felt for Design engineering collaboration across sites.
For these organizations, 3DEXPERIENCE is a strategic single platform to manage Documents and PLM business processes and leverage 3DEXPREINCE platform services such as Social Collaboration, reuse of design parts, Program Management, Configuration Management, 3D model comparison for BOMs comparison, Index based fast searches, Connectors with ERP systems and so on.
Considerations When Migrating
- What data to migrate – all or only released?
- Site by Site migration, versus all sites together?
- Product by Product Migration, Project by Project Migration, versus all Products/Projects together
- Should we migrate non-engineering data to 3DEXPERIENCE Platform?
- Configuration/Customization of 3DEXPERIENCE Platform
- Robustness of Migration – migration process monitoring, logging & failover strategy
- Budget and Timeline
- Anomalies in Source data
- Multiple vaults with duplicates
- Data Model Transformation between Different type document and 3DEXPERIENCE data model
- Validation of the migrated data
- User adoption to 3DEXPERIENCE Platform
- Ability to migrate data in scope over the weekend (go live window)
- Ability to perform migration product by product or Project by Project or site by site and still maintaining referential integrity.
- Not all information could be in Vault, some data may be on networks shared drive.
About Autodesk Vault Migration Adapter
SteepGraph’s Autodesk Vault Migration adapter is one of the adapters from overall 3DEXPEREINCE data migration suite. It migrates Vault data to 3DEXPERIENCE platform. The adapter is robust and industry specific tool built considering the challenges and requirements of the Migrations.[/vc_column_text]
Key Functional Capabilities
The migration adapter supports migration of Documents and Neutral files to 3DEXPERIENCE platform
- Inventor CAD Documents
- Engineering Parts
The migration adapter supports mapping of data between Vault and 3DEXPERIENCE:
- Attribute mapping
- File metadata extraction
- State Mapping
- File Loading
The migration supports both kinds of data scopes
- Full data in scope
In this case, entire data from Autodesk vault, including all revisions and versions, is migrated.
- Subset of the data
For example, Latest Released data to be migrated.
In terms of execution, the Migration adapter supports execution models as listed below:
- Full Migration
This provides ability to migrate all data that is defined in scope in single migration window of go-live weekend. Key factor is performance of the migration adapter.
This provides ability to migrate the data in the step by step manner. For example – site by site, product by product. In this model, during transition period, both Vault and 3DEXPERIENCE are in production.
Scalable Migration Framework for High Throughput
Autodesk Vault Migrator is based on very extensible and scalable framework for migration. The framework has below capabilities to have high throughput of the migration and minimize the migration window.
- Ability to Scale Vertically by configuring more threads
- Ability to Scale Horizontally by adding more nodes (machines) for processing
- Loose coupling between Source and Target Systems. Can replace one of them or both by keeping framework components as reusable
- Has good loggingmechanism
- Has good exception handling
- Has good Transaction Handling capabilities and in case of any error – it aborts transaction leaving database state consistent
- Highly Configurable in terms of mappings. All mapping configurations in XML
- Highly Extendible to OOTB/Custom classes, attributes
- Real-time monitoring of the Migration Process
Migration Monitoring Console
When actual migration is run, it is important to get visibility of the migration progress. To provide the up to date progress, Migration Monitoring Console is provided.
Key features of the Monitoring Console
- Provides monitoring of each of the phase of the migration – Extraction, Transformation, Loading
- It provides an overview of the process – indicating Successful/Remaining/Failed data with an ability to drill down to specific category for example – to list failed data
- Indicates progress per running thread on each of the machine being deployed for migration
- Filter the data per type
- Monitor the progress of specified duration – say last 30 minutes
- Very intuitive user interface and very fast data navigation
- Automatic refresh of the console after every 60 seconds.