Objectives of Migration
Many organizations have chosen 3DEXPERIENCE as the enterprise PLM platform, but many of their local sites are still using Documentum as the document management tool.
- Having multiple systems for document management, Engineering CAD data management leads to digital discontinuity.
- Cost of maintaining separate document management, PDM/PLM systems.
For these organizations, 3DEXPERIENCE is acts as a unified platform to manage documents and PLM business processes and leverage 3DEXPERIENCE platform services such as social collaboration, reuse of design parts, program management, configuration management, 3D model comparison for BOMs comparison, index-based fast searches, connectors with ERP systems and so on.
Considerations When Migrating
- What data to migrate – all or only released?
- Site by Site migration, versus all sites together?
- Product by Product Migration, Project by Project Migration, versus all Products/Projects together
- Should we migrate non-engineering data to 3DEXPERIENCE Platform?
- Configuration/Customization of 3DEXPERIENCE Platform
- Robustness of Migration – migration process monitoring, logging & failover strategy
- Budget and Timeline
- Anomalies in source data
- Multiple vaults with duplicates
- Data Model transformation between different documents and 3DEXPERIENCE data model
- Validation of the migrated data
- User adoption of 3DEXPERIENCE platform
- Ability to migrate data in scope over the weekend (go live window)
- Ability to perform migration product by product, project by project or site by site and still maintaining referential integrity.
- Not all information could be in Documentum, some data may be on networks shared drives.
About Documentum Migration Adapter
SteepGraph’s Documentum Migration adapter is one of the many adapters from overall 3DEXPEREINCE data migration suite. It migrates Documentum data to 3DEXPERIENCE platform. The adapter is robust and industry-specific tool built considering the challenges and requirements of the migrations.
Key Functional Capabilities
The migration adapter supports migration of documents and neutral files to 3DEXPERIENCE platform
The migration adapter supports the mapping of data between Documentum to 3DEXPERIENCE:
- Attribute mapping
- File metadata extraction
- State mapping
- File loading
The migration tool supports both kinds of data scopes
Full data in scope
In this case, entire data from Documentum including all revisions and versions are migrated.
Subset of the data
For example, latest released data to be migrated.
In terms of execution, the Migration adapter supports execution models as listed below:
This provides the ability to migrate all data that is defined in scope in single migration window of go-live weekend. Key factor is the performance of the migration adapter.
This provides ability to migrate the data in step by step manner. For example – site by site, product by product. In this model, during the transition period, both Documentum and 3DEXPERIENCE are in production.
Scalable Migration Framework for High Throughput
Documentum Migrator is based on very extensible and scalable framework for migration. The framework has below capabilities to provide high throughput of the migration and minimize the migration window.
- Ability to Scale Vertically by configuring more threads
- Ability to Scale Horizontally by adding more nodes (machines) for processing
- Loose coupling between Source and Target Systems. Can replace one of them or both by keeping framework components as reusable
- Has good logging mechanism
- Has good exception handling
- Has good Transaction Handling capabilities and in case of any error – it aborts transaction leaving database state consistent
- Highly Configurable in terms of mappings. All mapping configurations in XML
- Highly Extendible to OOTB/Custom classes, attributes
- Real-time monitoring of the migration process
- Time and Cost Effective – With migration framework, efforts and timeline of migration projects are estimated to be reduced up to 60%
Migration Monitoring Console
When actual migration is run, it is important to get visibility of the migration progress. To provide the up to date progress, Migration Monitoring Console is provided.
Key Features of Migration Monitoring Console
- Provides monitoring of each of the phase of the migration – Extraction, Transformation, Loading
- It provides an overview of the process – indicating Successful/Remaining/Failed data with ability to drill down to specific category, for example, to list failed data
- Indicates progress per running thread on each of the machine being deployed for migration
- Filter the data per type
- Monitor the progress of specified duration – say last 30 minutes
- Very intuitive user interface and very fast data navigation
- Automatic refresh of the console after every 60 seconds
Why Partner With SteepGraph Systems?
- PLM Focused ( 120+Consultants, 200+ Projects, 14+ Countries, 100+ Customers)
- Dassault Systèmes Services and Migration Partner
- 3DEXPERIENCE Platform Expertise
- Focused on Customer Success and Value Creation
- Proven Tools and Migration Methodology
Send Us An Inquiry Now!!